- Zinc reacts spontaneously with the silver ion:
Zn(s) + 2Ag+(aq) → Zn2+(aq) + 2Ag(s)
Describe a voltaic cell using this reaction. What are the half reactions?
- Consider the cell :
Write the half cell reactions and the overall cell reaction. Make a sketch of this cell and label it. Include labels showing the anode, cathode, and direction of the electron flow.
Standard reduction potentials are 2.9 V for F2/F-, 0.8 V for Ag+/Ag, 0.5 V for Cu+/Cu, 0.3 V for Cu2+/Cu, -0.4 V for Fe2+/Fe, -2.7 V for Na+/Na, and -2.9 V for K+/K.
a. Arrange the oxidising agents in order of increasing strength.
b. Which of these oxidising agents will oxidize Cu under standard state conditions?
Give the major product (or products) that would be obtained when each of the following compounds is reacted with Cl2 and AlCl3:
- Benzoic acid
Starting with benzene, outline a synthesis of each of the following:
Show the mechanisms for the following:
- Addition of HBr to ethanal
- Substitution of HBr and acetyl chloride (CH3COCl)
- Why is a) an addition and b) a substitution?
- What is Markovnikov’s law? Why do reactions proceed according to it?
- Give the product (or products) that you would expect to be formed in each of the following reactions. In each case, give the mechanism, (Sn1, Sn2, E1 or E2) by which the product is formed and predict the relative amount of each.
- CH3CH2CH2Br + CH3O– →
- CH3CH2CH2Br + (CH3)3CO– →
- (CH3CH2)3CBr + OH-→
This is a copy of the sheet I handed out in the week 3 tute:
1. Identify the substrate, nucleophile and the leaving group:
a. CH3CH2Br + CH3S → CH3CH2SCH3 + Br–
b. (CH3)2CHCH2OSO2F + NH3 → (CH3)2CHCH2NH3+ + FSO3–
2. Show the major products for the addition reactions of a) propene and b) methylcyclohexene with the following:
3. Indicate the type of reaction shown below: